Friday, March 23, 2012

Gluten-free week - day 6

Cooking doesn't necessarily have to be time-consuming, and it certainly doesn't have to happen every day. I remember when Grandma made a large pot of sarmale every Christmas and we'd have enough leftovers to last until New Year's - and that was a good thing too, because Grandma worked so hard on those things that by the time they were ready she swore off cooking forever (only to resume it a few days later).

A few years ago I visited a friend in Canada. I discovered that in his kitchen he had an entire line of oversize dishes, from huge Pyrex trays to pots large enough to boil a small child. He only cooked on weekends, I learned, and he made enough food to last him the entire week for lunch. It sounded brilliant at the time, and I was very jazzed to try out this promising avenue myself. But I was surprised by my own need for variation in food. Even if it's a decidedly delicious thing, I don't like to eat the same thing every day. To this day, I rarely cook something that lasts more than two days. 

So, yesterday the notorious soup was finished and so was the lasagna. An easy day, food-wise. This makes room for new and wonderful things to populate our plates. Stay tuned!

Nothing like a big fat cup of coffee in the morning.

For lunch, ginger-orange carrot soup again (mmmm), but...

...that was the last of it.

Lasssssagna with brown rice pasta and a glass of Merlot.

And a bowl of cantaloupe for dessert.


No comments:

Post a Comment