Friday, June 29, 2012

Impossibly smooth pea soup


I recently bought a Vitamix blender. I consider it one of the best purchases I ever made. In fact, this photo hardly does this soup justice. The Vitamix is like the Ferrari of blenders. That thing will blend rocks! So obviously, that's how I prepare my Glowing Green Smoothie every morning, and it's also a whole new avenue of experimentation when it comes to blended soups, drinks or ice cream. Mine also came with an entire book of recipes and, leafing through it in the excitement of the moment, I found most of them easy and unpretentious. My favorite kind.

Peas are great for you, by the way. They contain not only lots of fiber, but also iron and vitamin C. Besides, peas have a lot of protein for a plant: 3/4 cup of peas contain 8 grams of protein, more than a whole egg. I like to heat up peas and saute them with minced fresh dill weed and a little butter, which makes a delicious side for any meat of your choice. This soup, though, is vegan and it's something else. I love peas, but this brought peas to another level of awesomeness. I had this soup both hot and cold and to be honest I was partial to the cold version. Sooo refreshing!

Blended pea soup
~ serves 4

1 quart vegetable broth
4 medium potatoes, each cut in 4
8 oz frozen sweet peas
1/2 shallot or 1/2 small onion, uncut
1/2 inch piece of lemon peel

Place 2/3 of the broth in a pot together with the peas, quartered potatoes, shallot or onion and bring to a boil. Simmer on low heat until the potatoes are tender (20-30 minutes). 

Then blend the mixture with the rest of the broth and the lemon peel. You can use a hand blender, regular blender, food processor or a Vitamix. You just might end up with a chunkier soup than I did, depending on the device you use. Blend about a minute or so, until you achieve maximum smoothness. Enjoy and thank me later!

Note: try this chilled, too. It will surprise you.

Recipe adapted from Vitamix Whole Foods Recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment